Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The door


Meet my closet under the stairs door. My feelings toward this door epitomize the meaning of a love/hate relationship (an inanimate object, though it may be). You see, I really can't stand clutter. In my dream world, my house would look like one of those "parade of homes" homes. But, then I always wake up and have a daily battle within myself to make peace with the stage of life that I'm in...kids and clutter. Every time I look at this door, my first reaction is to cringe and I have to stop myself from tearing it all down. I hate it. Then, I remind myself of my stage of life and try to look at the door in a positive way. Here are the things on the door right now: 5 art/coloring projects from Brooklyn, a silhouette image of Trey's head from school, the word blend list he's working on and the letter and certificate for being the star student this month. I'm proud of my kids and want to showcase their accomplishments and this stops me from tearing it all down. You can really tell a lot about my life just by looking at this door, which I think is, in short-cool. I love it. (But, I hate it).

4 comments:

Nikole said...

I know what you mean about the clutter, but I agree with you...it would be a shame not to celebrate your kid's accomplishments and artwork! I like your attitude about enjoying the phase of life you are in. In ten years, you'll probably wish you had some artwork on your fridge! :) (Or door)

That Girl said...

Love this. You worded it so beautifully - AND I totally get what you mean. (And dude. You SHOULD be proud of your kids. Sounds like they're all keepers!)

NatalieHemingway said...

Ok, you'd HATE my kitchen. WE've literally wallpapered it with preschool crafts and babysitter art projects. The walls were empty for 5 years since I could never decide how to decorate it. I guess Sofia solved it for me. (but I hate it...too).

Julia said...

I hate this stage as well and find myself always looking forward to the future. I'm having to constantly remind myself to enjoy my kids now. It's definatly a challenge.