Monday, September 29, 2008

mommy brain

Okay, so up until now I've talked of "mommy brain" with humor, sometimes a bit of frustration, but mostly humor and no other reason to explain memory malfunctions and other issues brought on by being a mommy (being pulled 3 directions from 3 kids, trying to hold it together). Well tonight I am cursing my blasted mommy brain! I am so beyond mad at myself I don't know what to do besides blog about it! Last week I got a call from the owner of a dance studio here in Meridian asking me to come help judge their hip-hop team auditions. Besides hating the idea of a hip-hop team, I was thrilled to help and flattered that she asked especially since she barely knows me,( I'm just on as a substitue at the studio). These days I have to write everything on my calendar and even then sometimes I forget things. For some idiotic reason I didn't write this on my calendar and...yep, you guessed it...I completely forgot! We made plans with Justin's sister in Boise and I arrived home to an irritated sounding message, "Rachel, this is Ann, it's 7:00 and we're wondering why you aren't here." It's not even like she called and I was home and could rush over and be a few minutes late. No, I didn't even get home until close to 9. I'm embarassed, frustrated, irritated and mad, mad, mad! This could have been my chance to get my foot in the door at this studio and I had to ruin it because of the blasted mommy brain!!! I really really hate being such a flake. This just wrecked my night. Sometimes I barely hold it together and then when things like this happen I feel like such a failure. I couldn't even get up the nerve to call her back, I sent an e-mail instead. I almost hope she never calls me again. I'll just sleep it off I guess and then I'll delete this blog a bit later after I get all of your sympathetic comments. :)

7 comments:

Clear the clutter said...

You are NOT a flake! You are very busy, there is a difference. Hey, you didn't sleep through your phone reminder and not pick up your 1st grader until she called from the Principal's office terrified about what had happened to you... nope that honor would be mine. We all go through it. If this woman is a mom, she will understand too.

Arin Rohrbach said...

I totally sympathize and even though I'm finally on some medication for all my memory mishaps I still feel like I haven't got a clue as to what's going on. The other day I threw Logan's clothes in the garbage instead of the laundry basket??? My calendar is my life line, but even then we all make mistakes. It's called being busy with 3 kids. I know how much that must off bugged you to miss that appointment because you are a super organized person and it was a great opportunity. Just take heart that there will be other opportunities and hopefully your friend will understand that it was just a mistake. (Yeah I know none of that makes you feel any better right now, because that's what I'd be thinking, but eventually things will feel right again.)

Robins Fam said...

AAAHHHHH! (That's how I feel when my mommy brain kicks in...oh, ALWAYS!!!) That totally stinks that you missed the dance competition, but I for one am totally glad to hear that you aren't 100% perfect. I'd really miss you a ton if you hadn't missed it and then would've been translated. Thank you, Mommy Brain, for keeping my friend Rachel here with us on earth!

NatalieHemingway said...

Oh NO!! I've flaked like that before too. We all have. You'll get another opportunity, so don't worry.

Lynita said...

I am so sorry that happened to you. It is truly awful to forget things that an "ordinary" person might remember. I think any woman who has had children can sympathize. Just last month I forgot to pay the car payment, thank goodness for my hubby who remembered before we had a penalty or a mark on our credit. Yeah, it truly happens to all of us.

aftonini said...

you are busy with three little ones. I once answered the phone at home saying "Henry Ford Hospital parking services how may I help you." Now that's bad and I don't have any kids at home anymore. So what's my excuse!!

JT42 said...

mommy brain is my enemy too-I have to keep TWO calendars with the same information, becuase if I'm home I remember to go somewhere and then I'm in the car and forget where to go, so I have to look at the calendar-annoying, but I don't like to flake either, and for every child I've had it's gotten worse and worse...I'm sorta surprised I have any working brain left ;D