Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Domestic Diva




The month of September has found me motivated to try new things and develop new skills. It all started with the desire for new hair clips for my girls, so I had a few friends over to make some. To many of you, hair clips are easy and no big deal to whip out, but for those who know me well, you know that I am not crafty and I get easily frustrated, so these were a big accomplishment for me. Too bad Taylee won't leave them in! Next, my husband found an orchard letting people pick and buy peaches and pears for 18 cents a pound...150 pounds later, I had some canning to do. Justin helped me with the peaches (he did a lot of the work) which ended up being a huge pain; they were hard to peel, we kept over-boiling and on and on, but we finished them. A couple weeks later when the pears were ripe and I was getting nasty fruit flies, I had no choice but to dive into those too....I did them by myself, thank you very much. I also made peach jam. Did my self-sufficient, domestic kick stop there...no way! I've tried several times to make my own bread and for some reason it never turns out quite right. Well, my friend Karen gave me a great recipe that was really easy and voila...fresh, homemade, yummy bread. I'll admit it's not the most delicious ever, but I'll keep working at it. We had missionaries over for dinner the night I made it and they ate a whole loaf, so it must have been good ( or they're just not that picky). So, now that we're nearing the end of September, I find myself still imperfect, but still trying and determined and motivated!

7 comments:

Arin Rohrbach said...

How do you make those hair clips? I've been dying to learn how.

Kirstynn Evans said...

I love this domestic diva side of you! It all looks so impressive. I can only do stuff like that when I have my mom to help me. However, I have an amazingly easy, and fabulous tasting bread recipe, that you have motivated me to make, and blog about! Mmmmm!!!

NatalieHemingway said...

The clips turned out cute. I'm glad you could do them with just the cryptic instructions from over the phone.

Clear the clutter said...

Good for you! I am very impressed, the hair pretties are darling! They can be a lot of fun. One warning, all ribbon will be MUCH more interesting to you, be careful, or a sale at Joann's might mean 50 new spools of ribbon. Way to go!

That Girl said...

Congrats and jealousies! It all looks great!

JT42 said...

way to go!

Lynita said...

Wow! Those hair clips are adorable! I am impressed at the canning and bread making as well. For the month of September the only productive thing I have done is get my daughter to school every day! LOL!