Sunday, September 25, 2011

Forget me Not


Wow! President Uchtdorf is such an amazing speaker. During Women's Conference, an annual conference specifically for the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but inspiring for any woman, he used the tiny "Forget Me Not" flower as a metaphor to apply to our lives, touching on five different topics. Forget not:

1. to be patient with yourself
2. the difference between good and foolish sacrifices
3. to be happy now
4. the "why" of the gospel
5. that the Lord loves you

One of these really hit home with me. Number one, to be patient with myself. President Uchtdorf told us that God is fully aware that we are not perfect :) He went on to say that many of us are often good at being patient with others, but for some reason don't apply the same practice to ourselves. With a little fear of sounding self righteous, I'm going to toot my own horn for a moment. I've been told more than once before that I'm very patient with people, with personalities and imperfections (I have so many of my own, there is no way I could judge). Now to quiet that horn a bit; I've also been told I'm too hard on myself in many aspects from parenting down to housekeeping. I also know that I am not the only one. In fact, it seems like I am often having conversations with friends and thinking to myself or even telling them, "don't be so hard on yourself." Why is it that I don't offer myself the same tenderness and understanding that I offer others? Well, let me tell you this talk was a lightbulb moment for me. As I listened, the Spirit whispered to me that God is just as sad when I'm impatient and down on myself as He is when I am that way with others. Whoa! What a concept, he loves ME just as much! I need to let grace work in my life. Psalms 84:11 says, "For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly." I am expected to be on the right side of God and do my very best, but the grace of my Savior, Jesus Christ will make up the difference. This all makes sense to me and my spirit feels lighter because of it and I hope and pray that I can be better at applying this principle to my life. How blessed I am and will be if I work to find grace in His sight.

1 comment:

NatalieHemingway said...

I missed that Saturday, but really "missed out". I'm gonna have to catch it online. Thanks for your take on it...