Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mormon Michigander



I take great pride in being from Michigan. When I went away to Ricks College, it set me apart from the majority of students who were Utahns or Idahoans. They could hear the drawn out vowel sounds that establish a Michigan accent and within seconds of meeting me would ask, “Where are you from?” The tone of their voice, evidence that they had never heard an accent quite like it. At first, it shocked me. I had no clue I sounded so different. But, then I embraced it. It was a great icebreaker and it made me feel interesting. I was subjected to what I like to call, “say this syndrome.” One friend constantly asked me to say “tap class,” and would break into uncontrollable laughter every time. I didn’t mind, though, secretly I liked the attention. By the time I married and moved to Moscow, Idaho, people stopped asking where I was from. The western influence caught me and slowly stole away my precious accent. Now I recognize the Michigan accent in my family, and they in turn tease me for my lazy vowel sounds that establish a western accent. The Michigan accent still breaks through sometimes. I still say apricot with a short “a” sound and I actually feel a little snooty saying it with a long “a” sound. It also sneaks back when I talk to my family on the phone or after we’ve visited them, but it’s just not the same. I miss it. I still love telling people I’m from Michigan, but without the returning question from my college days, that too is just not the same.

6 comments:

That Girl said...

I still have a thoroughly Michigander accent. I'm so nasal. And I love it.

tHe BrOwn FaMiLy said...

I agree with you 100%! I miss my accent! Now I just sound normal and sometimes twangy from living in the south. Everyone in college would laugh when I would say Packing tape!! LOL Got to love the a's. Sigh... this makes me miss home today!

JT42 said...

hmmm...every time i read this i still hear the accent in my head...guess i haven't spoken to you in person for a while...darn internet conversations ;)

sorry for always making you say "tap class"...although i LOVED hearing you say it...i don't know that i would ever be able to pick up the accent if i moved over there...just not in me i don't think :) too idahoan, i am.

Julia said...

do you remember the 6 of us sitting at our dining table (in good ole baronnessa apt) having a fight over the difference between "Dawn" and "Don". good times.

The Prices said...

I do remember that fight and that is also one I don't budge on.

Q'Ville said...

What do you pack your groceries in? A bag or a sack? Love your thoughts.