Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ek-squeeze me? baking powder?

It had already been a long day and Justin called to say he would be more than two hours late. It was a great night to take advantage of half off happy meals, but since the kids didn't have quite enough in their piggy banks, they had to make up the difference with jobs around the house. While we all cleaned up downstairs, I was spent and grouchy and then came this comment:

Trey: (under his breath) "You're wasting all of my play time."
Mom: Ek-scuuuse me? What did you just say?

The next 30 seconds were followed by me giving a full on lecture to my six year old about how all the crap (yes, I said crap. yes, it's a bad word in our house) I clean up doesn't belong to me and I'd much rather be playing too and you'd better never talk to me that way again. I was mad. really mad.

Okay, not my best moment. I think I may have over-reacted, but I'll bet he doesn't say that again (at least not for a few months).

6 comments:

dawn said...

Did you make it to McDonald's?

Kenn N said...

in his defense it was cutting into his play time. I think the lesson here is more that sometimes you think things... that's cool... don't let them out of your mouth.

Robins Fam said...

We all have those moments, Rach. Don't worry about it. Now he knows that clean up time is more important than play time when you say so. That's the job of the mom, right? Jordan told me today that I'm really good at tormenting the kids. I just said that I'm glad that I'm excelling at something. That's us. We're moms.

Orton Family said...

This post made me laugh!!! I have done that too so many times and and I am ashamed to admit it! Poor Jane has had to listen to my rantings and ravings way too often - but I am sooooo glad I am not the only mother in the world that does that! :-) I always blame it on the fact that I really need Brent to come home earlier for my sanity's sake.
Hope you had a fun time at McDonalds!

Kunz fam said...

So fun catching up on your blog!! I love your confession. That is pretty funny..only because you say what I am thinking!! I love your letter from Treygan..so cute. Hope you guys are doing great!

Q'Ville said...

I love to know that you have all the normal mothering experiences.