Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


As my kids came into my bedroom this morning to serve me breakfast (thanks Justin) and shower me with crafts made with their own two little hands, I paused for a moment as I saw them standing all together beaming and I thought to myself: I love being a mother.

Now, let me back it up a bit. I have not always had that thought. I have always loved my children, but I have had struggles with enjoying motherhood (as I'm sure many have). I don't just mean being bothered every so often with the emotional and physical demands carried by motherhood, I mean I had serious issues with loving, even liking this most divine calling. Part of the problem was not really knowing what I'm doing (I started young), not really understanding how to enjoy it (it's a lot of work ya know). I have also been struggling with depression over the past few years, something I have kept pretty quiet and is another blog post or two or three in itself.

However, without going too much into all of that, as it stands today I am happy. I love being a mom. I love all the drawings just for me. I love being with them. I love observing them. I love hearing them. I love seeing them grow and learn. Don't get me wrong, it's not always roses, but for the most part I am seeing much brighter days. I am feeling so grateful for a very wise, incredibly loving Father in Heaven who never left my side through all the challenges I've faced in the journey of motherhood and who continues to be with me so long as I let Him in. I know that raising these 3 beauties of mine beside my wonderful husband is what life is all about, all the other stuff is just stuff and I am just so grateful.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Oh Rachel, Im sorry to hear that you've been struggling, I think a lot of women, myself included, just kind of keep quiet about the internal struggle of doing something that is SOOOO hard and knowing that you should be loving it! Every day. I feel you, and I think you're a great mom!

Robins Fam said...

Thank you for that beautiful reminder, Rach! (I'm needing it today!) And you are a wonderful mother. Your three cuties are so blessed to have you.

Sarah said...

Thanks for that...miss you! Happy Mother's Day!